Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chicken with Olives and Dates

I am still dreaming about those lovely dates that I saw the other day at the market. Why can't I get those little fruits out of my mind! Well I am going to give in to them again tomorrow. I shall head to Dot's for some chicken (because if you're buying meat anywhere else, Eeeewwww) and then perhaps a run to 2nd Street Market for some bread to go with this dish. Oh yeah this Middle Eastern inspired dish has Sunday Dinner written all over it. I love mixing spices, fruits and meats together. The dish actually calls for chicken drumsticks, but since my family prefers chicken breasts, I changed it.

Chicken with Olives and Dates 4 servings

1 T. olive oil 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 t. ground ginger 1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. paprika 1/4 t. turmeric
1/4 t. cinnamon 1/4 t. salt
1# skinless boneless chicken breasts 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c. dried apricot halves, chopped 2 pitted dates, coarsley chopped
10 small Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped 1 T. grated lemon zest


1. Prepare the marinade: in a gallon sealable plastic bag, combine the oil,garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and salt; add the chicken. Seal the bag, turn to coat the chicken. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Drain and discard the marinade.

2. Using a Dutch Oven or skillet set on medium heat, place chicken and broth and cook for 15 minutes covered. Turn the chicken over; add the apricots, dates, olives, lemon zest and 1 - 2 T. of water. Cook, covered, checking occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through; 15 - 20 minutes more. If the chicken begins to stick to the surface, add water 1 T. at a time. Cook through; serve with rice, noodles or your favorite side.

No comments: