Monday, April 6, 2009

Pork Carnitas

I love pulled pork. Whether it's plain with just salt and pepper; BBQ'd with North Carolina sauce (my preference for bbq), Spanish style ... it doesn't really matter. But now that I have been introduced to the fresh flour tortilla's at Don Pablo's (and I am working on making my own from scratch), I am loving this Pork Carnitas recipe. The Dutch oven is becoming a staple in my cooking.

Carnitas, which translates into "little meats" can be made with pork or beef roast.

Pork Carnitas

pork butt or pork shoulder (I usually buy about a 4 lb. size)
3 T. tomato paste
4 - 5 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 T. cumin
1 T. oregano
1 T. black pepper
2 1/2 t. salt
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 qt. chicken stock
water to cover roast

1. Into a Dutch oven, combine the tomato paste, garlic cloves, bay leaf and cumin; oregano, chopped onion and stock. Place roast over mixture, add enough water to cover the roast.
2. Simmer roast for about 3 hours. Check after 3 hours; making sure that the roast pulls apart easily. Sometimes, depending on the size of your roast, this might take up to 4 hours.
3. Remove the roast from the stock; pull meat apart. Season meat with salt and pepper. I set the stock aside, this is not traditonal, but we like it this way.
4. Place all the pulled pork onto a baking pan (I use parchment, but if you have a Silpat, you could use that, if neither of those, foil is fine). Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
5. Place the meat back into the Dutch oven, stir to coat meat. We like this flavor and sometimes I will add some "heat"; peppers, additional onions that I have softened by cooking on the side.
6. Serve the pork carnitas on flour tortillas along with your favorite toppings: sour cream, cheese, lettuce, onions, peppers, etc.
7. Traditionally Pork Carnitas are served on tortillas accompanied with chopped cilantro and diced onions, fresh salsa, fresh guacamole or refried beans.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

YUM!! I do pulled pork sandwiches, but this is something new. I am definitely going to try this! Thanks for posting this! I just came across this blog, I didn't realize you had this! YES!