Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Basil Grilled Chicken

Talk about an easy herb to grow! Lowe's had 4 or 5 different varieties of basil to plant. My little herb garden boxes might be "ditched". I don't think I have enough wood to do what I wanted to do, but I think I have another idea. Needless to say, no herbs yet on my deck, but parsley in my window. That sounds like a bad country song. Ok, here is Basil Grilled Chicken. I would like to serve this with some yummy asparagus baked with olive oil and sea salt and a nice salad.

Basil Grilled Chicken Serves 4

3/4 t. coarsely ground pepper
4 chicken breast halves, skinned
1/3 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 T. minced fresh basil
1 T. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
fresh basil sprigs, optional

1. Press 3/4 t. pepper into meaty sides of chicken breast halves.

2. Combine 1/3 c. melted butter and 1/4 c. chopped basil; stir well. Brush chicken lightly with melted butter mixture.

3. Combine 1/2 c. softened butter, 2 T. basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until blended and smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl; set aside.

4. Grill chicken 6 - 8 minutes each side, basting frequently with remaining melted butter mixture. Grill until meat is completely cooked.

5. Serve grilled chicken with basil-butter mixture dalloped on top of each breast. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs.

No comments: