Friday, May 15, 2009

Blueberry Streusel Cobbler


I have this dream of some day owning a cafe and then in our retirement years a bed and breakfast by the sea! I am always keeping recipes for my bed and breakfast years and this blueberry recipe would be like a signature cobbler. Blueberries are one of my most favorite fruits. I think it would be nice with a scoop of ice cream, I also think it would be delicious with some fresh whipped cream or even in the morning with some fresh cream in a bowl. How about a nice cup of coffee or tea to go with it! You don't have to use the blueberry sauce, but it's very good with the ice cream scoop. I will be posting ice cream recipes soon ... look for those!

Enjoy this recipe.


Blueberry Streusel Cobbler Serves 12


1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries (I always try to use fresh, but see my tip on frozen)

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk

2 t. grated lemon peel

3/4 c. + 2 T. cold butter

2 c. biscuit baking mix

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (I like a mixture of both)


1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine blueberries, sweetened condensed milk and lemon peel.


2. In a large bowl, cut 3/4 c. butter into 1 1/2 c. biscuit mix until crumbly; add blueberry mixture. Spread into a greased 9" square baking dish.


3. In another small bowl; combine remaining biscuit mix and sugar; cut in remaining 2 T. butter until crumbly. Add nuts. Sprinkle over cobbler.


4. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream topped with blueberry sauce (recipe below). Refrigerate any leftover cobbler.


Blueberry Sauce:

in a saucepan combine 1/2 c. sugar, 1 T. cornstarch, 1/2 t. ground cinnamon and 1/4 t. ground nutmeg. Gradually add 1/2 c. water. Cook and stir until thickened. Stir in 1 pint of blueberries; cook and stir until hot.


** you can use fat free or low fat condensed milk for this recipe

** when using frozen berries in this recipe, DO NOT defrost the berries before adding them to the batter.

** you can double this recipe and freeze a 2nd pan for another day



2 comments:

cydnee said...

Just checking in to say how much I enjoy receiving all these recipes in my inbox. Great recipes B!!!

Becky said...

My cousin was going to make the Bourbon Street Chicken this week. Can't wait to see if she likes it. Pass the blog along to anyone you want; it's an open blog.