Sunday, March 6, 2011

Asian Chicken & Asparagus

Everyone at my house at this lovely Asian Chicken & Asparagus. Do you know how rare that is? Well, it is a rarity. We served this with some delicious veggie egg rolls. Mmmm .... now I must confess that while everyone LOVED the noodles, I myself would prefer this served over a brown rice. I purchased these noodles from the Asian food section at our local supermarket. I wish I had written down the company name, but as usual, I didn't. The original recipe calls for linguine noodles, but I wanted to try these. They were very good, similar to a noodle for Lo-Mein. The recipe also called for only asparagus, notice I tossed in some sugar snap peas. I am going to love making this dish once the farmer's markets are open. Enjoy!

Asian Chicken & Asparagus Serves 4

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" pieces
1 T. sesame seed oil + additional 1 1/2 T.
1 pound asian noodles or linguine
1 pound asparagus
1/2 pound sugar snap peas
5 T. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. oyster sauce
2 T. light sodium soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
2 t. chili-garlic paste (or less depending on how much heat you like)
2 t. ground ginger

1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken, until no longer pink, 5 minutes or so. Transfer all chicken to a bowl.

2. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes. Add asparagus and sugar snap peas to the pot, cook until bright green and pasta is al dente, about 4 more minutes.

3. Whisk vinegar, oyster sauce, chili-garlic sauce, ginger and sesame oil. Place chicken back into skillet, pour the vinegar mixture over top, add cooked pasta and veggies. Turn to coat all with vinegar sauce.

4. Serve.

No comments: