Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chicken Soup with Gnocchi

I was having lunch with my Mom at Olive Garden the other afternoon. One of my all time favorite lunches is "Soup, Salad and Breadsticks" at O.G. My Mom and I went through the soup bite by delicious bite trying to come up with the ingredients. I think we came up with a pretty good recipe here. I am going to use my mortar and pestel to grind down the herbs. Gnocchi (for those who don't already know) is a delicious little Italian Potato Dumpling. I have a pretty good recipe (from my friend Patty B.) but I have to admit that tonight I am using (gasp!); frozen Gnocchi. My apologizes to all my Italian American friends. Enjoy.










Chicken Soup with Gnocchi



1 chicken cut up (cooked and meat shredded or chopped)

1/2 c. butter

3/4 c. celery (chopped fine)

3/4 c. onion (chopped fine)

1/2 c. carrots (grated or chopped fine)

1 1/2 t. garlic (minced)

1/3 c. flour

1 1/2 c. heavy cream

4 c. chicken broth

3/4 c. fresh spinach (julienne chopped)

16 oz. Gnocchi

1/2 t. dried rosemary

1/4 t. black pepper

1/4 t. white pepper

1/4 t. tarragon



1. Melt butter in a stock pot.

2. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic; saute until soft.

3. Add flour; mix well. Cook 3-4 minutes; stirring frequently.

4. Add cream and chicken broth; mix well. Cook until thick and boiling.

5. Reduce heat, add chicken, spinach, gnocchi and remaining herbs and seasonings.

6. Cover; cook on low 8 - 10 minutes until gnocchi are tender.

No comments: