Thursday, April 2, 2009

Johnny Marzetti

My Father says that they used to serve this at Beavercreek High School in the early 60's (when he was a student). I myself always have called this macaroni with meat sauce. I don't remember my Mom calling it "Johnny Marzetti", but maybe she did and I don't recall. Either way; it's a very filling meal and very inexpensive to make. I suggest making it in (2) 13 x 9" pans and putting one pan into the freezer. I looked up why it's called Johnny Marzetti and found out that it originated at the Marzetti Restaurant in Columbus Ohio; but who really knows. Here it is:

Johnny Marzetti

3 T. olive oil
1 large onion
3/4 c. sliced mushrooms
2 lbs. ground beef
3 1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 1/2 lbs. cheddar cheese
1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

1. Saute onion in oil; 3 minutes; add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove onion and mushrooms from the pan (place into a bowl).
2. Place beef into saute pan; brown beef; remove from heat and drain the fat.
3. Add onions and mushrooms back into pan with beef.
4. Add tomato sauce to mixture in pan. Stir in all but 1 c. of the cheddar cheese; add macaroni; stir.
5. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish (I use 2 of these and freeze one). Top with 1 c. cheese (if I am freezing a portion, I will add more cheese when I bake it).
6. Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

*** I have also seen recipes that call for no mushrooms but green pepper. This is also yummy, but my kids don't care for green peppers. The above recipe I change 2 things. (1) I omit the mushrooms and I add a can of diced tomatoes. ***

No comments: