Thursday, June 11, 2009

Beef Fajitas


Mexican cuisine has this special little place in my heart. I just love all the colors, smells and textures. We were out to dinner a few nights ago. We enjoyed a few beers and margaritas along with Yolanda's (green) and Beef Fajitas. Do you ever have this wonderful dinner and then a few days later find yourself craving it again. We don't dine out that often, so I will try to replicate meals we have had. Sometimes I am very successful, other times ... well let's just say there are somethings that aren't the same at home. Beef Fajitas; you can make these at home! Here's a little tip: buy your tortillas at Don Pablo's (or another Mexican restaurant). Most places will sell you about a dozen for only a few bucks. I think this step makes the rest of the meal easy. I know I could make my own tortillas, but then why should I when I can pick up freshly made ones and not have the trouble (and more dirty dishes). I also pick up a bag of chips and fresh salsa when picking up the tortillas. Enjoy!


Beef Fajitas Makes 6 - 8 servings (2 fajitas / serving)


Step 1:

2 lbs. flank, round tenderized or skirt steak


Marinade:

3/4 c. lime juice

1 c. water

1/3 c. olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 T. white vinegar

2 T. soy sauce

2 t. dried parsley

1 T. sea salt

1 1/2 t. chili powder

1 1/2 t. cayenne pepper

1 t. ground black pepper

1/2 t. onion powder

1/2 t. salt


1. Mix marinade ingredients together. Place steak into a gallon ziplock bag, pour marinade over meat; refrigerate for 12 - 24 hours. Tip: I put my ziplock bag into a 9 x 13" baking dish incase it were to leak for any reason.


Step 2:

2 T. olive oil (for skillet)

2 onion, cut into rings

1 red pepper, sliced thin

1 green pepper, sliced thin

2 T. olive oil (for onion / pepper mixture)

2 t. soy sauce

1 t. lime juice

dash of pepper

dash of salt


1. Cut onion and peppers; place a cast iron skillet on medium high heat; add 2 T. olive oil to the pan, swirling it around the pan to coat. Place onion and peppers into skillet, cook for 5 minutes.


2. While onions and peppers are cooking: in a small bowl, combine: 2 T. olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, pepper and salt. Pour sauce over onions and peppers; saute 5 additional minutes.


Step 3:

Prepare Fajitas


1. Remove meat from marinade, discard marinade. Place meat onto grill and cook to your preferred temperature. When meat is cooked, place onto a large cutting board, cut against the grain into strips. Place meat into cast iron skillet along with onion and peppers; cook for 3 -5 minutes. Turn heat to low while warming your tortillas. Serve on warm tortillas with lettuce, sour cream, fresh tomatoes ... whatever toppings you enjoy.

1 comment:

Screamin' Mama said...

I love fajitas. I rarely make them 'cause I'm so lazy when it comes to preparing all the toppings!