Monday, June 8, 2009

Berry Scones


I don't know if it's because I have been chatting with my friend in Ireland lately, or if I am just thinking again about owning a bed and breakfast or because I am thinking I need to start a good work out routine ... but I was craving scones. Really, what is wrong with me? Why do I crave these little delights? The original recipe was for plain scones; I jazzed them up a bit by adding a nice dried berry blend and orange juice concentrate. The dried berry blend that I use is made and distributed by Aldi. How can you go wrong with a $1.89 bag of dried berries. Cranberries, cherries, blueberries and strawberries make this blend PERFECT for not only scones, but trail mix (which I am planning some great southwest Ohio hikes for my family this summer); add them to your favorite cereal or yogurt and best of all; grab a nice handful while you're running out the door. I got off track, so here's to Scones ... Berry Scones ... make some tomorrow and have a pot of tea along with them.


Berry Scones Makes 8


2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1/3 c. cold butter, cut into pieces
1/3 c. dried berries
1 egg
1/2 c. whipping cream
1 T. orange juice concentrate (use straight from the can)
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

whipping cream
sugar
butter, favorite jam, pot of tea (all optional, but use for the best experience)


1. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment, set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 c. sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender (or 2 knives), cut in 1/3 c. butter until mixture becomes coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, set aside.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, 1/2 c. whipping cream, 1 T. orange juice concentrate and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Add the 1/3 c. dried berries at this time. Using a fork, stir until moistened and a dough forms. Don't worry if you still have unincorporated flour in the bottom of the bowl because you're going to knead the dough next.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 - 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8" circle. Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges.

4. Place wedges 1" apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush wedges with additional whipping cream and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 - 14 minutes or until lightly golden brown in color. Transfer the baked scones to a wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with butter and your favorite jam.

No comments: