Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Aunt Kathey's Famous Ice Cream Cake

So it's really only "famous" in our family, but I do have alot of family! Once you try this ice cream treat, you will thank my Aunt Kathey! When I was younger and we would go to spend time in the Cleveland area, I always hoped my Aunt would be making this dessert.
Some of you who have the Mom's Cookbook, already have this recipe, but I have had a request for it this week and figured I would post it to the blog today. Who doesn't love Oreos and ice cream? You can make the ice cream inside any flavor that you want. I prefer coffee ice cream, my youngest daughter prefers mint chocolate chip. I have made it with: vanilla, strawberry, black cherry and neopolitan. They were all delicious! Enjoy!

Aunt Kathey's Famous Ice Cream Cake makes about 15 servings

Crust:
36 Oreos, crushed
2/3 c. margarine, melted

1. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking pan

Filling:
1/2 gallon ice cream (your favorite flavor); softened

1. Pour ice cream over crust. Freeze for a few hours, or overnight.

Topping:
4 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
2 T. butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. evaporated milk

1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring ingredients to a boil over medium high heat. Let cool in saucepan for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

2. Spread topping over frozen ice cream. Freeze again, covered with plastic wrap at least 4 hours.

3. To serve, allow to sit at room temperature for about 10 - 15 minutes.

TIP:
This is a great fudge topping to use on ice cream.

No comments: