Friday, July 3, 2009

Sweet and Sour Cucumbers

Cool as a cucumber ... oh, that is what this dish is ALL about! My daughter and I love cucumbers (so does our Guinea Pig). I hadn't thought about this recipe is ages. The other afternoon I was making Curry Chicken (I will post information about that later, it was DELISH), and I wanted something "cool" to go with the hot and what did I find in my refrigerator? A cucumber and some sour cream. Those 2 items brought back childhood memories of my Grandma slicing cucumbers, "thin to win" and pouring this wonderful sauce all over them, putting them into the refrigerator and hoping everyone would keep their fingers out until dinnertime. It never really worked, I still sneak a few now and again until dinner time comes around. I know many of you have made this recipe, but here's the funny thing, the dressing makes a GREAT salad dressing too. Ok, maybe you think, "well duh", but I never really thought of it that way. So, toss these cucumbers and onions onto your salad greens and enjoy a cool veggie treat! ENJOY!!

Sweet and Sour Cucumbers Makes 6 servings

3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced (as thin or thick as you like)
1 small onion, peeled and sliced (as thin or thick as you like)
3 T. white vinegar
2 T. water
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. sour cream

1. In a shallow baking dish or bowl, combine cucumbers with onions. Add sugar and salt, stir with a spoon or your hands to ensure they are all getting a bit of each.

2. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, water and sour cream; mix well. Pour over the cucumbers and onions. Stir to coat all over. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

3. To serve, you can drain the sour cream mixture, or serve with a slotted spoon.

Tip:
* some people (my mom for one) prefer to use an English cucumber, that's fine.

* you can add some fresh dill if you like that presentation

No comments: